Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Playing in the Dirt


The last three days have really been a reat great time.  It’s not because of any major accomplishments at the office nor is it because of a reaching a completely harmonious relationship with my wife.  Judy will tell you there are days that I’m not even close.  And no, I am not celebrating recent lottery winnings. 


            For the last few days I have been able to spend about 90 minutes or so playing in the dirt, just like I did when I was a little boy and probably just like any other man did who is reading this when he was a little boy.  It been only a few years now but I have found a wealth of enjoyment through flower gardening.  There is something almost serene about sitting or kneeling on the ground with a small spade in hand, turning the soil and planting something. It’s even more amazing to drop a bulb in the ground and then seeing something break through the dirt a few days later, not really understanding what when on out of sight beneath the surface. It’s one of those periods in time through which I can usually block out everything else in life that may be of concern and concentrate solely on the proper depth and separation of this plant or that one.  Planters by the way, and I am not ashamed to say this, are a great way to score points with the Mrs. The combination of geraniums, salvia, petunias, marigolds seemed to do the trick.  Great color too!  This is just one more example of taking a step back from the fast pace in which we all live and putting some context back into life about what is really important.  It may not be gardening for you, but I’m betting there is something that will help pave the way toward a positive, enriching escape.

            The tradition established earlier has been maintained by the way.  The cell phone stays in the house when I’m in the garden because the last thing I need is to be “playing in the dirt” and have that peacefulness interrupted by a text message.  Now if I can just get the dirt out from under my fingernails…

No comments:

Post a Comment