Monday, February 9, 2015

Mentoring Young People

I started a volunteer effort a couple of months ago that I felt compelled to share and maybe encourage you to give something like this a try.

I had a friend tell me they were in need of volunteers at a program at my church that had kicked off earlier in the fall that mentored at risk teenagers.  These 13-18 year old young people had seen it all in their young lives, in fact, a lot more than I had ever experienced in my teen years or since then.  Drug use, suicidal tendencies, lack of self worth, feeling unwanted or unloved are just some of the issues that have surfaced over the first two months of my participation in "The Journey."

There are a couple of dozen young people on any given night and they all come on their own accord.  The program grows  by students telling other students of the benefits of the mentoring relationship. 

This is a rewarding experience to say the least maybe in part because I still enjoy working with young people. But investing in a young person's life goes beyond what you get in return.  This program allows adults to help young people in their journey by walking side by side with them.  If affords them a second opinion from the adult world that all is not hopeless and they don't have to turn to drugs or other dangerous behavioral  patterns to cope. Over time, we can to see minor breakthroughs or perhaps one of those cautions "ah-ha" moments when you see in their eyes or body language that a concept or idea for going forward has registered with them.

My sense is there are many more young people in the Des Moines area and in Iowa who need a positive adult mentor to help guide them through the teenage years.  A suggested resource might be http://www.iowamentoring.org..  There is also abundant research available http://bit.ly/1BuFtpx. that just might convince you to seek out a mentoring opportunity.

Your services are desperately needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment