Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Hope from Turning the Calendar.

All of us will be inundated in the days to come with year end lists of the best of 2015 as the clock ticks towards midnight January 1.  The top ten of this, that and the other thing will be dominant items in the media, online, and in coffee house conversations.  They will be immediately followed by prognosticators who will provide their best guess about what will happen in this particular area or that one in 2016.

This writer will not do that and especially not for that critical subject of whether the Cubs will win the World Series.

It seems to me a lot of people have interest in predictions because so many of us worry or fear the unknown.  It is natural.  But unless it is addressed it can also be crippling.  Worry robs us of our strength and focus.  Fear can stop us dead in our tracks. 

But they don't have to.   When I work with teens once a week who are having a tough go of it, I sometimes say I am about to pull out the "J" card...so they know what direction I am heading.  Now you know as well.

I have worried most of my life about how this might pan out or that will work out.  And I have learned all of that worry is for naught. Because in the end, 999 times out of 1,000, everything worked out just fine.  The potential confrontation at the office never materialized, a project turned out great, my financial situation met my needs and sometimes above and beyond them.  It has lead me to believe what Jesus said, "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries.  Today's troubles are enough for today." (Matt.  6:24 NLT). And earlier in the passage, "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life...whether you have enough food or drink or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than just food and your body more than clothing. (v. 25)

Despite the circumstances in a particular situation, just remember the bases are already covered.  I have found knowing that makes life a lot more tolerable and enjoyable.   And I don't worry about the prognosticators.

Have a great Christmas and may abundant blessings come your way in the coming year.

One other thing.  Cubs win, Cubs win!


 (Unless of course my Pirates are in the playoffs and then it's "Raise the Jolly Roger!")

No comments:

Post a Comment