Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Those Sighs of Despair We All Experience

We all feel this way from time to time.  Sometimes all it takes is to look at our personal calendar as we struggle to actually find the date on the page before us beneath all the scribbles and notes to come to the conclusion that there is too much on our plates.   Other times we become short with a friend or a spouse because we are stressed over trying to do way too much within the limited amount of time we have in a given day.  There are also those moments when it seems to come crashing down.  We could be trying to do what many would consider to be a minor project or menial task when we become overwhelmed with despair.  

I fall into all three examples.  I stressed over when I would be able to write this for this small area of the web because I have tried to make it a point to provide some fresh insights on a twice a week basis. (Missed that last week)    My wife will tell you, and she is would not be shy about doing so,  that I can be short with her, when the day has not gone well and the proverbial plate before me is overflowing with stuff.  Much of it is really petty when you get right down to it.  There are also those times when I am alone and my heart sinks and my spirit wanes because it really doesn't seem to get any better from week to week and I lie awake at night for way too long of a time looking for answers to the questions about "How did life get to this point ?" and "How can I turn this around."

But this is not an "Oh woe is me" opportunity.  It is instead a call to find solutions to most of the predicaments I/we find myself/ourselves in as opposed to just waiting for the pity-party to begin. 

 I have learned to step away in order to keep burnout at bay. (Unintentional rhyme)

 Unless it is an urgent situation, I step away from whatever it is that has burned me out at least for 24 hours.  Stepping away allows for a fresh perspective to enter the picture.  There are a host of suggestions and much more analysis here.  

Everyone has probably heard of the need to prioritize events and tasks that will impact their lives.   I couldn't agree more.  A high school student once asked me at a convention in Baltimore," I want to find out what I am passionate about but I am involved in 20 different activities in school.  How can I decide?

 You can probably guess the answer to the question. 

 Priorities are the key.  What is important to you?  Focus on those things and leave the other stuff for someone else to worry about.
There is a myriad of sources for gaining more information about staving off burnout.  I found Carson Tate seems to have nailed it pretty much spot on in her blog of a few months ago.

Now I have to get back what I need to focus on tomorrow.....right after I spend some quality time.....walking the dog.


Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment