Friday, September 15, 2017

The Relevance of Community Service Organizations Part 5

          My Optimist Club has worked for year’s with the Children’sCancer Connection in Des Moines,  doing projects primarily to help the families affected by the disease.  One year the club provided an opportunity for a picnic and a minor league baseball game.   A couple of weeks later one of the families came to our club meeting to tell their story.  It involved their then four year old daughter who had been diagnosed with cancer at age 18 months.

While the mother was telling the story, the little girl sat across the room from me and she had a bag of Goldfish Crackers.   I made eye contact and mouthed the words, “Can I have one?”   She bounded out of her chair and came over to me and gave me….two!  She the went back to her chair.   her mother was the winding up the  story and the family was about to leave.  But before doing so, the little girl who I had just met a few moments, jumped out of her chair…ran over to me, jumped up on my lap and gave me a hug!

That’s my Optimist story.  I contend each one of us, regardless of service organization has a story just like that one.  A story that truly reflects what being part of a service group is all about.  Sure we volunteer our time, talents and money to help young people and give ourselves opportunities to grow as a person.  But there are always going to be times when what we are doing “gives back to us.”  It is just another reason why being part of a service organization is relevant is this day.

So how do we get more people involved?   We simply tell our story.  (I can provide more ways for getting people involved in future posts) We tell them about the great things our organizations do.  This is simply too important to keep to ourselves.  Our story, Your Story, needs to be shared.  I have found on innumerable occasions that when I tell my story, or just talk to someone about the Optimists that they respond by saying, “I had no idea you did that sort of thing, how do I get involved.”  It’s practically a universal response.  They just opened the door for you.  We just need the courage to walk through it.

A lot of people today are desperate for something positive in this age. Service organizations can provide that positive influence in life and all the benefits that go along with it…..but we (you) have to tell the story. And since this has been my story….let me end this way,

“By providing hope and a positive vision, Optimists bring out the best in children, our communities and ourselves.”


Be well.

1 comment: