Thursday, August 6, 2015

Last Minute Prep Tips for Public Speaking

You have worked tirelessly over the past several weeks getting ready for you presentation.and finally the day has arrived,  Here are some tips for making the day go as smoothly as possible that I have found helpful.

1.  Get you where you are giving the remarks early.  I advocate no less than half an hour so you can get a "lay of the land", and to make certain all of your audio and video requirements you made to your host have been met.  If they have not, there is still time to make some last minute adjustments.  You can't do that if you walk in the door as the event begins

2.  Work the room.  I learned this from my mentor Michael Angelo Caruso (www.michaelangelocaruso.com) who advises to get out into the audience before the event begins and talk to people.  Just introduce yourself and thank them for coming because in perhaps just a small way they came to see you.  This also helps develop rapport with the audience before you begin.

3. Look Sharp.  This is old school because I am old school.  I am the speaker so I an going to dress appropriately.  If its a blue jean crowd in the audience, I am at least going to have on  dress slacks or khaki and a button down shirt.  If the audience is dressed that way, I'm pulling out the sport coat.  And if the men and ladies are in business casual mode, I have on the suit and tie. You are the speaker and a whole lot of eyes are going to be fixed on you.  Look your best.

4.  Be Yourself.  You are not Jack Canfield or Tony Robbins or any of the hundreds of others accomplished public speakers out there.  This sounds simplistic buy you are you.  To be perfectly honest, you may actually have some attributes they don't have which makes you unique.  The audience can tell when you are faking it.

5.  Have Fun.  Do not take yourself too seriously.  I enjoy being in front of people and talking to them, maybe teaching them something they did not know and occasionally making them chuckle or laugh.  Public speaking should be fun and enjoyable and not an exercise that is like  having a tooth pulled without Novocaine.

6.  By all means remember this one.  GO TO THE BATHROOM BEFORE YOU SPEAK!  You have enough things to remember without being uncomfortable.

This series on public speaking wraps up next week with some tips for making your presentation stand out from all the others but here are two thoughts to consider.  If you want a chuckle...check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHnRIn74Ag  ( don't worry its harmless) And  plug before I go.  I would be happy to come you your organization or company to provide a seminar on public speaking & effective means of communicating your message.  Shoot me a note or give me a call and we can discuss.  www.jimboyd.homestead.com  Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment