Friday, September 11, 2015

Focus, Focus, Focus

It's been one of those weeks.  Maybe it's because it was a shortened work week and each day after Labor Day seems like it should be previous day.  (Wednesday seems like Tuesday, Tuesday seems like Monday and so forth)   But everything still seems out of sorts.   Concentration has almost been non-existent and dashing between one task or another seems to be the norm for this week.

So this post is about what I tell people when they are having trouble focusing on any one particular task, subject or event.  If you run into this kind of week or your are/have experienced one this week these simple suggestions could help.

1.  Stop the bus.  The pace of life in 2015 is such that we normally bounce between this issue, that crisis, or events that crowd our calendar.  Look yourself in the mirror and say "Wait a minute."  Then grab your favorite non alcoholic beverage and spend 10-15 minutes doing nothing.  There is something to be said for that and if you need proof, just take a look at this episode of the Coalition, published by New York Times author Tim Kreider.  It makes the point that we all need to listen to.

2.  Sort through some priorities.   I counseled a sophomore in high school several years ago about this particular need.  She approached me after a presentation in Baltimore during which I suggested they find something to be passionate about.  "But I have so many activities at school I am involved in, how do I know which one to be passionate about?"  "By whittling away at the list until you find what you truly want to be involved in and not just because your friends are involved in" was my reply.  It is a relaively quick process to reduce a list of 12 activities to three or four and you are no longer too busy.

3.  Entrepreneur Magazine has suggestions as well in a recent artcile titled "How to Stay Focused' Train Your Brain."  The simple idea of tackling the most complicated of tasks first allows you to concentrate on that one issue, leaving the rest of what is cluttering your brain for later.

I seriously need to think about the above and even more on the round trip to central Nebraska this weekend where I am doing a little training and motivational speaking.  And maybe before I go I ought to read my own blog.

Have a good weekend.   Be Well.


No comments:

Post a Comment